- How to drain a washer or washer dryer
- Freestanding washing machines
- Freestanding washer dryers
- Integrated washing machines
- integrated washer dryers
When a washing machine finishes a cycle sometimes water can remain in the drum where the machine hasn’t been able to drain it correctly.
It is also worth draining the machine before cleaning the filter to stop water from leaking out onto the floor while you are cleaning it.
- Run a spin/drain programme
IMPORTANT - Disconnect the appliance from the mains before continuing
IMPORTANT - If you have just done a wash programme please allow time for the water to cool down before continuing.
- Check the drainage hose has no kinks
If this fails, then try the following:
If you have a built-in appliance please remove the bottom plinth, you will then find your filter on the front of the machine. If you have a free-standing appliance you may have a pump cover. If you do follow the steps below:
1. Open the pump cover – some of these will open with a push while others may require a small coin in the small indent to pull it open
2. Put a bowl or something to catch the water in (is handy to have a dry cloth to mop up any water that does manage to spill onto the floor.
3. Pull the cover over the filter down
4. Turn the filter 180 degrees in an anti-clockwise direction to open it, without removing. Let the water flow out.
5. When the bowl is full of water, turn the filter back and empty the container.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the water stops flowing out.
7. Turn the filter anti-clockwise to remove it.
8. If it is necessary, remove fluff and objects from the filter recess. Run the filter under the tap. Also, make sure that the impeller of the pump can rotate.
9. Put the filter back into the special guides by turning it clockwise. Make sure that you tighten the filter correctly to prevent leakages.
10. Close the pump cover
11. Put 2 Litres of water in the detergent draw
12. Run the Spin/Drain programme
If your washing machine doesn’t have an external filter or if the above hasn’t worked:
1. Run a spin/drain programme
2. Unplug the appliance
3. Close the tap
4. Put the two ends of the inlet hose in a container and let the water flow out of the hose.
5. Unscrew the water outlet pipe from the drain and lay the tube close to the ground (do put something at the end of it to collect the water.
6. Plug in the appliance
7. Put 2 Litres of water in the detergent drawer
8. Run the Spin/Drain programme
We recommend requesting a visit by a service engineer if the above hasn’t worked.
If you found the following information helpful, please give us a thumbs up below. All constructive feedback is welcome if this information did not resolve your question.