- The door of the washing machine cannot be opened
- Front loader washing machine (integrated and freestanding)
1. Too short time since the end of the program.
The door can be opened about 3-5 minutes after the end of the washing cycle (after the bimetal in the door lock has cooled down). This is normal.
2. Make sure the door lock icon is not active.
On some models, if there is a problem with opening the door and the display is off, turn on the washing machine and make sure the door lock icon is not active. Unlock the appliance first to proceed.
3. Check if there is water in the machine.
If there is water in the machine, the door cannot be opened. If you want to open the door, you can do it after the water has been pumped out or, if necessary, by performing an emergency drain operation on the machine. Follow the instructions below:
- open the fluff filter and let the water drain out from the front into a tray or down a floor drain (on some machines you do this by opening a spout on the fluff filter and loosening the filter carefully or, on machines without a fluff filter, you loosen the drainage hose at the back of the machine and then lay it along the floor so that the water can be channelled off via the drainage hose)
- check if the drains are fine
- clean the fluff filter
- run a wash again to see whether this has resolved the problem.
Download the user manual.
4. Perform emergency door opening.
On some machines, the door can be opened in an emergency by pulling down on a bar using a screwdriver or similar object, for example.
If the machine has an emergency release, it is located next to the fluff filter (pictured below). See the full description in the user manual.
Download the user manual.
Step 1: Press the On/Off button to switch the appliance off
Step 2: Disconnect the mains plug from the mains socket
Step 3: Open the filter flap
Step 4: Pull the emergency unlock trigger downward once. Pull it downward once again, keep it tensed and, in the meanwhile, open the appliance door
Step 5: Take out the laundry and then close the appliance door
Step 6: Close the filter flap
Warning: Risk of injury! Make sure that the drum is not rotating. If necessary, wait until the drum stops rotating.
5. Reset the machine.
Switch off the power to the machine and then switch it on again after about 20-30 seconds. Then test whether the machine is working normally.
Contact an Authorized Service Center.
If the door cannot be opened without water in the machine and the above advice does not resolve the problem, we recommend requesting a visit by a service engineer.