- Modern appliances wash at lower temperatures, and if the machine has replaced an older model, it may not heat to as high a temperature as the previous one.
- The electronics in the appliance should be able to register whether the heating element is defective, and will usually display an error message (error code on the display, or beeps-flashes sequence).
If no error message is displayed, follow the instructions below to resolve the issue:
- Make sure that the appliance is not overloaded.
- Determine whether the selected cycle involves heating.
- Make sure that the drain filter is clean and unclogged.
- If the appliance is supplied with hard water, a water softener may be required.
- Run a service wash at the highest temperature without any clothing in the machine. Then run the cycle with the new detergent.